In Femshire Library there is a locked cabinet that contains a large red leather-bound book with the title in gold tooled lettering that reads Femshire Constitution, 1940.
On the wall above the cabinet hangs the ornately framed portrait of Lady Gwendoline Goldsmith, the foundress of Femshire, in her bespoke widow’s weeds of blood-red. Beneath the portrait, a brass plaque states, Lady Gwendoline Goldsmith, A Formidable Matriarch, b. 1920 d. 2002.
If you were to read the potted history of Femshire, in the pamphlet produced by Femshire Heritage Press, then you would learn that in 1939 Lady Gwendoline Goldsmith inherited the vast estate of her husband, Lord Henry Goldsmith, upon his untimely death, and with great speed and alacrity, she immediately set about the demise of the Goldsmith legacy and the birth of the Femshire Trust for the Furtherment of the Female.
Lady Cordelia Goldsmith, the only female child of the Goldsmiths, is now Governess-General of Femshire, presiding over the Femshire Trust and its spiritual home, the model village of Femshire. Her twin brother, Hilary, as a male, has no right to hold office or asset in Femshire but is a tenant in the village as the tied ward of a Fem.
Alongside the Governess-General, there is a total of twelve governesses on the board of the Femshire Trust and all are resident in Femshire. The Femshire Board of Governance includes the following governess posts: administrative, judicial, domestic, overseas, commerce, media, heritage, dramatics, pastoral, clinical, school, and nursery.
In addition to internal duties, each board governess undertakes a caseload of national and international missionary work in order to spread The Good Word and work of the Femshire Trust throughout The Unnatural Way, as Fems refer to the world outside of Femshire.
Particularly noteworthy is the Femshire Trust Scholarship scheme in which 1000 scholarships, each to the sum of £1,000, are awarded annually to further the development of females in the fields of medical science, political science and business enterprise.
The Femshire estate encompasses approximately 10,000 acres of land of outstanding natural beauty and at its heart is the Gothic pile of Femshire Manor in Femshire Village (formerly Goldsmith Manor in Mannington Village). At the wrought iron electric gates that lead to the village there is a black cast iron sign with white lettering in the traditional style that informs the reader that the way ahead leads to Femshire, for residents only and no trespassing.
Through the electric gates, the landscape is quintessentially English countryside of mile after mile of meadow and woodland. Looking down to the valley, there is a red speck in the distance, which is the Femshire standard, flying from the topmost turret of Femshire Manor. There is only one road in and out of Femshire. The route leads to Femshire Manor through Femshire Village with its solid stone houses and community buildings, the most striking of these being the Chapel of The Natural Order of Mother Nature, The Goddess Spa, and The Regina Inn.